Subject: Re: Adding gkermit
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/31/2006 15:44:53
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:46:42PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 03:57:41PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >
> > I agree that x/y/zmodem are more commonly used for this purpose, and I don't
> > care very much, but in my experience kermit as a protocol is more robust
> > in difficult conditions, and I think that the idea that it is not as widely
> > available is something of a misperception.
>
> My point was to use the in-tree tool to also talk with embeded devices.
> All manageable ethernet switches I've used talk xmodem for example, but not
> kermit.

It's easy to add something from pkgsrc so that you can talk to other
embedded devices.

It is not easy to add something from pkgsrc so that you can talk to a
new system whose net works not.  I think if we're going to choose something
to add to the base system, we should choose the best thing for that purpose.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart