Subject: Re: Adding gkermit
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/31/2006 15:44:53
On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 07:46:42PM +0100, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 03:57:41PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> >
> > I agree that x/y/zmodem are more commonly used for this purpose, and I don't
> > care very much, but in my experience kermit as a protocol is more robust
> > in difficult conditions, and I think that the idea that it is not as widely
> > available is something of a misperception.
> My point was to use the in-tree tool to also talk with embeded devices.
> All manageable ethernet switches I've used talk xmodem for example, but not
> kermit.

It's easy to add something from pkgsrc so that you can talk to other
embedded devices.

It is not easy to add something from pkgsrc so that you can talk to a
new system whose net works not.  I think if we're going to choose something
to add to the base system, we should choose the best thing for that purpose.

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart