Subject: Re: syslog_r (Re: CVS commit: src/lib/libc)
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/26/2006 13:10:32
On Oct 26,  9:57am, thorpej@shagadelic.org (Jason Thorpe) wrote:

| On Oct 26, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Christos Zoulas wrote:
|
| > The ssp library.
|
| ...and it's a good idea to the use OpenBSD ssp library because.....?
|
| I think the one that comes with GCC is just fine, and it seems as
| though it is no worse than linking with libgcc, which we already allow
| (require, really).

There is very little work involved to write and maintain a BSD-licensed
libssp.  I don't particularly like some of the implementation
choices of the GNU libssp:

1. the unrolling code in the string functions makes the code
   unnecessarily complex.
2. It calls syslog(3) if opening /dev/tty fails.

christos