Subject: Re: "default shell" [was: Re: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin/user]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/03/2006 10:44:38
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 09:19:08PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> OK, obviously there are many possibilities here, but no concensus.
>
> 	So how about pushing the decision to the user?

In general, we should be careful about that. Asking too many questions is
not very good for usability, either. Many users won't have any idea about
what to choose, because they never cared before (because systems that they
used before had bash, or maybe tcsh or zsh).

We should instead provide a default good enough that most users don't feel
the urge to change it. Those who know exactly what they want probably also
know how to use chsh or install an additional shell from pkgsrc.

This is not an objection against your patch, which fortunately does not
add more questions to sysinst. But I would vote for complete removal of
the "root shell" question from sysinst, for the reason above. Also because
offering a choice which does not include three most popular options (which
are, I think, bash, zsh and tcsh) is quite pointless.

If we don't remove the question, I think your change should be committed
and the default in useradd changed to the first shell in the list in
sysinst, for consistency.

Pavel