Subject: handling removed logfiles [was: Re: CVS commit: src/distrib/sets/lists/etc]
To: Darrin B.Jewell <dbj@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/29/2006 00:34:55
[moving to tech-userlevel]

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Darrin B.Jewell wrote:
>> add back aculog & mark as obsolete
>
> I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and almost decided
> to make the same change you just did.
>
> What stopped me was that this will cause postinstall to remove the
> file.  I wasn't sure if it was such a good idea for postinstall to
> remove a potentially valuable log file from the users system, even if
> it was not going to receive any new log information.
>
> Maybe this is something that should be special cased in postinstall?

From src/distrib/sets/lists/etc/mi:

# Note: end-user configuration files that are moved to another location
#       should not be marked "obsolete"; they should just be removed from
#       the set list, a custom fix should be added to postinstall(8), and
#       an item should be added to src/UPDATING for MKUPDATE=yes users.
#       This is an exception to the general rule that moved/removed files
#       are marked as "obsolete", because we don't want to arbitrarily
#       remove end-user configuration files.

I wonder if this should be extended from end-user config files to logfiles
as well. That way someone who performs an upgrade won't have the file
removed, and new installations just won't have it any more.

I.e.: I think my first approach of completely removing the line was
probably TRT, and the last commit (re-adding & mark as obsolete) is
probably wrong.

Or am I thinking around too many corners here?

  - Hubert