Subject: Re: test: ==: unexpected operator
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/23/2006 03:07:59
--J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:11:26AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> For that case I recomment looking for POSIXLY_CORRECT in the Linux
> getopt(3) manpage.
>=20
> I'll also note that our ksh allows =3D=3D already.
>=20
> For the rest of you: please keep the bikeshed to your own stuff. In
> case you forgot, NetBSD is an operating system to assist users, not
> force anyone's politics upon them. If a user wants to use =3D=3D instead
> of =3D and if there's no strong reason to disallow that, I see no reason
> for denying things to him. If you want to convert all the world to
> POSIX, I wish you much fun - you'll find a lot to do in NetBSD itself,
> and then you can continue with educating all the Linux users and
> programmers.

thank you for making the work on pkgsrc portability one more step
harder.  this idea was truly ingenious, on par with the "undefined
variable alows being tested for empty()" in make(1) which is still
causing a lot of headaches years after and allows bugs to slip through.

the most visible result of this change is that it hides bugs from pkgsrc
developers who use NetBSD either exclusively or as their main development
platform and thus inflict the pain on users on other systems where you
cannot bastardize their test(1).

would you, please, back this change out?
thanks.

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --