Subject: postinstall deleting old libkrb shlibs considered harmful
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/20/2006 11:05:40
--=-=-=

I had lossage with pkgsrc/devel/pcre building, and wiz pointed out
that I had old g++ includes.  I ran postinstall fix obsolete, which
broke my amanda install because /usr/lib/libkrb.so.6 was deleted.
Curiously, libkrb.so.{4,5} was not deleted.

Given that we don't delete old shlibs so that programs using them
don't break, why are we deleting the current version of removed
libraries?

Any objections to removing these libraries from the base set files, so
this doesn't happen?  If there are objections, can someone explain the
point of the current setup?

--=-=-=

--=-=-=--