Subject: Re: Changing default shell
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2006 03:23:09
On Feb 8,  4:04pm, Martin Husemann wrote:
} On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 02:39:44PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
} > There's a longstanding BSD tradition of csh, and  some  may object to
} > this change on the basis of upholding that tradition.
}
} Yes, traditionally BSD used csh (since job controll was added, I believe).
}
} [...]
}
} So, this is a default we can pick and will always pick wrong for most people.
} I don't care what we pick, I won't object any change, and I don't realy see
} the benefit of any change at all - I certainly may be alone with this opinion
} and I won't mind that either ;-)

     You're not alone.  Given that people can use "-s" or "-D -s" to
set the default, I really don't see the point of this change either.  I
suppose there may be some argument for tradition...

}-- End of excerpt from Martin Husemann