Subject: swapoff=YES as default? (was Re: Additional swap/dump magic)
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.aug.sechs@kh-22.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/29/2006 01:15:36
Martin Husemann wrote:
> to swapctl, but did not touch the rc.d script. I'll propose a new patch
> for that later.

Apropos swap and rc.d scripts:

Can anyone tell me why changing the default of swapoff=NO to swapoff=YES
in /etc/defaults/rc.conf would be wrong?

I just experienced the "swap on a raid makes parity dirty during
shutdown" phenomenon. After my ageing memory told me I had read about
this somewhere some time ago I found the references in raidctl(1) and in
the NetBSD guide but I still wonder why the default is swapoff=NO.
The messages I found on mail-index.NetBSD.org did not mention this
question at all.

ciao
     Klaus