Subject: Re: rm -P and strange file systems
To: Geert Hendrickx <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/25/2006 07:51:07

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 09:16:21PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:52:58PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > I wonder whether rm should be able to find out about this. Consider the
> > case where a user is operating on, say, NFS with the remote server
> > exporting LFS transformed with maybe an intermediate layer... how would
> > the user know?=20
> The user can and should not make any assumptions about the storage of his
> files when they are on NFS.  If the data is sensitive, he should use the
> cgd-on-vnd-on-NFS trick as described in

Nor even on local disks, even with block-overwriting filesystems like
ffs or msdos.  As noted elsewhere, the underlying disk could have
remapped marginal blocks (and may even be triggered to do so by the -P

Or, heaven forbid, someone might actually have taken *backups*!

None of these things makes rm -P useless, but they are important
qualifications and caveats on its usage - and which the manpage
describes, iirc.  If you need more than that, you need more than that,
and cgd might well help.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.4 (NetBSD)