Subject: Re: rm -P and strange file systems
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/24/2006 20:52:58
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:36:18PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:18:38PM +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> > Having understood what -P is about now: what does rm -P do when the file
> > is on LFS, or another file system that never overwrites in-place, but
> > allocates a new one?
>
> The manpage explicitly mentions this case:
>
> > on log-structured filesystems or if any block-journaling scheme is in
> > use, this option is completely useless.

I wonder whether rm should be able to find out about this. Consider the
case where a user is operating on, say, NFS with the remote server exporting
LFS transformed with maybe an intermediate layer... how would the user
know?

Maybe this operation should happen kernel-assisted ...

Regards,
	-is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/