Subject: Re: Additional swap/dump magic
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Gavan Fantom <gavan@coolfactor.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/24/2006 16:50:46
Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Gavan Fantom wrote:
>
>> How about "only autoconfigure swap on disks which have native, on-disk,
>> NetBSD disklabels"?
>
> Soon, "native, on-disk NetBSD disklabels" will be deprecated and no
> longer used for new media.

OK, the point really was to require that only disks in a "normal" NetBSD
configuration be autoconfigured. If the "normal" method is changed,
fine, so can the criteria for autoconfiguration.

The idea is to exclude anything which is made available by a
compatibility mechanism, especially compatibility with foreign operating
systems. Anything, well, "risky". [0]

[0] Yes, I know people can create "risky" configurations using NetBSD,
but at least then we can document what is safe, and add a big warning to
turn off swap autoconfiguration in other cases.

--
Gillette - the best a man can forget