Subject: Re: Behaviour of "rm -P" when file cannot be overwritten
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/23/2006 16:58:44
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> >With your patch, if the file cannot be overwritten, there's some
> >sort of "are you sure" prompt, but I find the wording of the message
> >confusing.  It's not clear from the message that, if you answer "yes",
> >the file will be deleted without being overwritten.
>
> What prompt is this exactly? Can I see an example? The current
> patch just displays a failure message and moves on leaving
> the file intact.

I was wrong.  I thought that it would print this pair of lines:

rm: moo: -P was specified but file is not writable
override r--r--r--  liamfoy/users for 'moo'?

... and then go on to delete the file without overwriting if you answer
"yes".

I now see that it just prints the first of those two lines, and
doesn't delete the file.

--apb (Alan Barrett)