Subject: Re: Warning popping up during -j builds
To: Martin Husemann <>
From: Quentin Garnier <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/18/2006 17:37:19

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 05:19:02PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 04:37:54PM +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > But how is it supposed to go to a child instance of make, then?
> > I don't claim to understand anything about make, let alone its inner
> > workings :)
> By make adding it (silently) to the args (but not publishing that through
> MAKEFLAGS) when creating a child make process, if it has been invoked wit=
h -j
> or -J itself.
> If make invokes a shell script, and that invokes another make, it is IMHO
> not part of the recursive/parallel make tree - so the token queue should =
> be passed on to it.

Somehow it makes me think a lot of magic will be required for make to
know it's invoking make--and moreover, the correct one.  Also, I think
that the current scheme allow other make programs to co-operate,
although it might not be an intended feature.

Quentin Garnier - -

Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (NetBSD)