Subject: Re: ok to add ex(1) to /rescue?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/12/2006 12:21:40
On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 05:42:46PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> >is it ok if I add ex(1) to /rescue ?  I prefer it over ed(1) on screwed
> >terminals, and it doesn't use extra space since we already have /rescue/vi
> >and ex is just "vi -e".
>
> FWIW, this can be done as link:
>
> 	miyu% ln -s `which vi` ex
> 	miyu% ./ex
> 	/tmp/vi.25181b: new file: line 1
> 	:

Well, I tried it and it actually does *not* work, due to the way crunchgen
works:

# cd /rescue
# ln -s vi ex   (I tried both soft- and hardlinks)
# /rescue/ex
rescue: ex not compiled in
 cat chio chmod cp csh -csh date dd df domainname echo ed expr hostname
 [...long list...]
#

So, if we want ex(1) in /rescue, it has to be added to the list.  Again, it
will differ only a few bytes since ex(1) *is* vi(1).

Ok to commit?

	Geert