Subject: Re: rfc: an alternate user-tickle mode for wdogctl(8)
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/07/2006 12:37:29
--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Sun, Aug 06, 2006 at 09:16:41PM -0500, David Young wrote:
> How will wdogctl change the mode of the timer as it is being killed off?
> I don't think it can be done.=20

How does it currently cancel the timer as it's being killed off?  I
made an assumption there was assistance from the kernel side, with
flags set, when the fd was closed by the process exiting.  If that's
not the case, and wdogctl tries to clean up in an exit handler, then
the behaviour you're trying to add can happen now with certain exit
paths (kill -9) for wdogctl.

> Anyway, the net effect would be identical,
> wouldn't it be?

Probably, so long as you can disable the timer from the command line,
in between the time when wdogctl exits and when the alarm fires.
That's my primary concern, because otherwise you can wind up with a
self-destruct timer you can't stop, and all sorts of bad plot devices
will ensue.

--
Dan.

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd