Subject: Re: /var/db/btdev.xml (from source-changes)
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/30/2006 16:16:47
On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 06:49:12PM +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> Ok, is the output from prop_dictionary_externalize() considered reasonably
> editable by humans?

You're kidding, right?  This XML format clearly trades off human readability
and editability for ease of machine parsing -- it is about as far to the
"ease of machine parsing" end of the spectrum as possible while still
retaining the use of ASCII tokens separated by whitespace or newlines.

We can do better than "not too annoying to people who are forced to work
with it every day as part of their paying jobs", can't we?

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart