Subject: Re: XML config file
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/22/2006 08:59:42
On Jul 22, 2006, at 2:10 AM, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> Ok, is it worth having a *ternalize_to_file functionality in the
> library?
> Although its fairly trivial to implement, having a standard
> function would
> be useful if usage becomes widespread..

Yah, I'll probably implement those when I do the array internalize/
externalize.  Actually, I just whipped those up while waiting for the
dishwasher to finish up :-)  I'll do the to/from file stuff a bit
later today.

> I'm easy since I have no need for the array anymore, but I dont see
> any
> big deal checking the object type - after all, you must to do that
> most of
> the time anyway.

I've been thinking of making that a little easier, actually... but,
yes, you need to check the object type when fetching from a
collection... But again, I was trying to model it after some prior art.

> 	obj = prop_dictionary_get(dict, "count");
> 	if (obj == NULL || prop_object_type(obj) != PROP_TYPE_NUMBER)
> 		errx(...);

I am planning on changing prop_object_type() to return an invalid
object type identifier if the argument is NULL, so you will be able
to collapse that into:

	obj = prop_dictionary_get(dict, "count");
	if (prop_object_type(obj) != PROP_TYPE_NUMBER)
		errx(...);

> Although I think a standardised configuration format and parser is a
> desireable thing, and I'm happy with the tree structure, I think
> that the
> lack of readability in XML is a major concern.

I guess I just don't find the XML unreadable.  Again, that may be
that I'm saturated in it at my Day Job :-)  But also, I didn't want
to create some new format, I wanted to use something that was already
in wide use... and I don't think anyone can argue against OS X having
the largest installed base of all of the BSD-derivatives :-)

-- thorpej