Subject: Re: SIGPWR not handled by init?
To: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@dspfpga.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/07/2006 00:17:27
# Garrett D'Amore 2006-07-06:
> I know there is powerd that can watch for power button events, but we
> also want to deal with the case like critically low battery power, etc.

... and powerd should be tought about them ;-) (one way or the other,
see smb's recent comments at tech-kern)

> In some of these cases we'd rather have init shutdown gracefully than
> just do a hard shutdown.

What would hardcoded SIGPWR action in init(8) gain us, compared to
any-action-we-might-want run from powerd script? If it's just latency
issue, the user needs to raise critical capacity (or whatever) treshold
on the battery.

I really don't think signals are the best way to propagate this kind
of system conditions...

	-- Jachym