Subject: postfix and missing hostname on install
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Zafer Aydogan <zafer.aydogan@gmail.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/21/2006 13:37:04
hello List,

I just installed NetBSD current (3.99.21) and I noticed, that since
the switch from sendmail to postfix, postfix complains about a missing
hostname on bootup.

newaliases: warning: valid_hostname: empty hostname
newaliases: fatal: unable to use my own hostname

A hostname is required to run postfix. Postfix also prints the above
warning everytime on the console, when a mail is sent (f.e. when,
cron.daily is executed, etc.) aslong the hostname is not set.

I thought, sysinst should ask for a hostname during a new installation.
I patched sysinst a while ago to do that. It's fairly simple, because
everything you need, is already in the sysinst code.

I know, there have been always a big discussion on what should go into
sysinst and what not, but looking at our family brothers, I see, they
do ask for a hostname during setup since years, like FreeBSD or
Solaris. I don't know about OpenBSD. Also Linux is setting the
hostname. So, that must be something clearly normal, useful and
necessary.

I would appreciate a hostname form in current ( David Laight ).

Cheers, Zafer.