Subject: Re: localpkg
To: Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/30/2006 08:46:26
--=-=-=

"Brian A. Seklecki" <lavalamp@spiritual-machines.org> writes:

> Good call.  I'm still trying to figure out what file systems flagged
> not flagged "noauto" would not be mounted before named(8) starts.
> Maybe nullfs_, mfs, union etc.

Things not in mountcrit_{local,remote} are mounted by mountall, not
mountcrit{local,remote}.   This is a feature...

> Is the idea here that some systems use the local named(8) to do local
> DNS resolution before starting services like NFS?

In general, the idea is that some filesystems are needed to start the
system, and that some programs from those filesystems are needed to
get sufficient daemons running to reach other filesystems.

This is messy, but allows a variety of setups to work.

Perhaps there should be mountalllocal that gets run earlier, and then
more people might win out of the box.

=2D-=20
        Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>

--=-=-=