Subject: Re: named before mountcritical in netbsd-3 rcorder(8) ?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/25/2006 16:21:55
> The named rc script from the base system and the one from
> pkgsrc/net/bind9 have the same rcorder keywords, so there's no
> difference in how they are handled by rcorder.

To the extent that that's true, it's an accident of the current
implementation.  There is nothing in rcorder's interface contract[%]
that bears on how it orders scripts that do not have any constraints
compelling their order - basically, how it turns the partial order
deduced from the keywords into a total order.  It's perfectly free to
sort them by MS5 hashes of the script contents and time-of-day, if it
feels like it, which would mean that any script change can make it run
at a different place at startup - and indeed it could run at a
different place next startup without any changes to files.  (This
unpredictability is one of the reasons I don't like rcorder.)

[%] Based on the 3.0 rcorder manpage, at least.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign