Subject: Re: Integrating OCF framework w/ (Net|Free)BSD rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/16/2006 19:57:32
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:35:51PM -0400, Brian A. Seklecki wrote:
[SNIP]

> I'm interested in any discussion / thoughts on a strategy or apporach for
> coding OCF compatibility / integration into our rc.d/ system

Oh my god, another over-complicated Linux "standard" which uses the
kitchen sink approach for system management. I'm strongly opposing
changing the current system to comply with this.

First of all, I believe that stuff like changing return values is better
done in a wrapper script. Second, this feels too much like automation of
something which should not be automated other than by enumeration.
Third, while "monitor" sounds like a good idea on first sight, it moves
logic where it doesn't belong. System management daemons are tricky,
because they have to be *efficient*, calling shell scripts is not
something I would classify therein.
Last, but not least, I do believe that running multiple "instances" of a
service is *not* typical and having reasonable specific magic for that
is ok. Having e.g. /etc/rc.d/network start wm0 would be nice, but for
most scripts it doesn't make any sense. I think mentioned example can be
easily implemented already though.

Joerg