Subject: Re: Inquiry re: rsync replacement
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michiel Buddingh' <ajuin@stack.nl>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/24/2006 11:27:50
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:04:31PM +0200, Michiel Buddingh' wrote:
> It depends.  I'm actually hoping that someone running one of the
> netbsd rsync mirrors will chime in about the perceived use of and
> load caused by the rsync daemon.  If it is generally felt that the
> io load caused by rsync doesn't offset the amount of bandwidth
> saved, it is definately possible to write a slightly different
> protocol optimised for central, relatively static software archives.

Just stumbled on another software archive synchronisation tool; cvsync.
(http://www.cvsync.org/)  It's available under a BSD license, and
written in C.

Is there really any need for yet another NIH software archive
synchronisation tool, and if there is, could someone specify /what/
needs to be done more efficiently?

--
		-- Michiel