Subject: Deprecating old cksum(1) flags
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Elad Efrat <elad@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/23/2006 18:32:23
Hi,

Please CC me on replies.

Our cksum(1) has been supporting since NetBSD 3.0 the -a flag, allowing
the user to specify the desired algorithm. This is the same usage as in
OpenBSD.

We're the only BSD system with the following logic:

-1 = sha1
-2 = md2
-4 = md4
-5 = md5
-6 = rmd160

You get the picture.

In 3.0, these were marked in the man-page with the following comment:

	"This flag is deprecated and should not be used as it will be
	removed in the future.  Please use the -a flag."

I say - the future is now. Let's remove these flags entirely. I'd
settle for leaving them in the code to "just make it still work for
another release", but I don't like that option.

Note: we are the only BSD with these flags, it is no standard. The
use of -a, however, has the chance of becoming one if FreeBSD decides
to add SHA2 support to their cksum.

Thanks,

-e.

--