Subject: Re: Ifconfig
To: NetBSD-userlevel <>
From: Liam J. Foy <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/26/2006 19:29:04
On 17:36, Sat 25 Mar 06, wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2006 at 04:31:29PM +0000, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> > The thing is most people seem to want to be able to replace
> > the old behaviour of ifconfig which requires -a flag to list all the devices
> > with just ifconfig as on most of the other open source operating systems.
> > Is there any reason we still keep this rather annoying behaviour and what
> > do you guys think about this change?
> I think the default listening of crypto keys and (in the future) CARP
> passwords should be disabled, before ifconfig -a can be the default.
> Otherwise I'd prefer that as well.

Using ifconfig -a doesn't show CARP passwords. Infact, the ifconfig code
doesn't show them at all (I'm taking about the CARP patch ifconfig).

# ifconfig -a
        address: 00:50:fc:31:cd:e0
        media: Ethernet 100baseTX
        status: active
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast
        inet6 fe80::250:fcff:fe31:cde0%rtk0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 33192
        inet netmask 0xff000000
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x2
        carp: MASTER carpdev rtk0 vhid 1 advbase 1 advskew 100
        address: 00:00:5e:00:01:01
        inet netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast

(The password for your information on the CARP interface is 'carpy')

		Liam J. Foy