Subject: Re: 2.0 and local mail
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2006 15:56:23
>> How do I get mail delivered locally on 2.0?  I have a 2.0 machine,
>> set up without any attention paid to mail, on which
>> crontab-generated mail to root is getting stuck in
>> /var/spool/clientmqueue [...]
> This is because sendmail nows runs 2 queues, to avoid running suid:

> So you need both sendmail=YES and smmsp=YES in /etc/rc.conf.  With a
> default config sendmail should only listen on localhost.

Thank you.  That put me on the right track, and it's now working for
me.  I have to retract the implication that a default install is
totally broken, though; I am not the only sysadmin for this box, and it
looks as though someone else *did* do something with mail.  While
according to the documentation it should not have affected things, it
appears it actually did.  (Someone put `sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"' in
rc.conf; according to /etc/defaults/rc.d's comments and the sendmail
manpage, this should not affect anything but the tag used in sendmail's
log messages, but it apparently broke enough to cause mail to pile up
in clientmqueue.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign