Subject: Re: Remote job support in bin/make
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/10/2006 13:19:24
On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, David Laight wrote:

> There is code splattered through NetBSD's bin/make that purports to support
> 'remote jobs'.  This has been there since the code was imported into NetBSD
> in 1993. Even if it worked then, I suspect it doesn't work now!

I tried to work with this back in about '98, and i couldn't get it doing
anything useful.

> These days programs like 'distcc' are more likely to be useful if you
> want a distributed make - since I suspect the support in make would
> farm out jobs randomly to the available systems.

Assuming you're working in C, of course.

But there are so many issues with architecture and software differences
between local and remote systems when doing this sort of thing that I
don't know that any one tool can really help in the general case.

I have no objection whatsoever to deleting this, though I'm not really
the one to ask.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson            <cjs@cynic.net>             +81 90 7737 2974
   by those who have not got it.    --George Bernard Shaw