Subject: Re: importing from another BSD
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/07/2006 20:53:00
On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Rui Paulo wrote:

> Iain Hibbert <plunky@rya-online.net> writes:
> > FreeBSD source does not always follow our share/misc/style - is this
> > important for imported userland software?
>
> Yes, it is. :-)

Hm, this could mean a bunch of non essential changes (that they might not
want to have returned) will have to see how much I need to do for that.

> > When arranging this for import, do I need to arrange that the import goes
> > in stages so that my changes are extractable?
>
> Depends.
> If there's a lot of shared code you can make your file look like:
>
> #ifdef __FreeBSD__

I wasnt going quite that far, was thinking rather that in the CVS
repository, there would be

v1.1		->direct from FreeBSD
v1.2		->add NetBSD rcsid
v1.3		->style changes
v1.4		->functional changes

so that in future it should be easy to see what has been done rather than
sharing a switcheroo codebase directly, there are not that many functional
changes necessary, in fact some of the inconsistencies I removed last week
and may yet go a bit further..

iain