Subject: Re: reviving /etc/disktab?
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/2006 22:53:34
On 09-Jan-2006 Aymeric Vincent wrote:
> Thanks for all the input so far. I would still like to see the Amiga
> floppy entries in /etc/disktab, but I will not advocate it further.

What about creating an /etc/defaults/disktab file, which has commonly used
entries for various hardware that needs it, and we ship an empty disktab with
only a brief header and maybe a commented out example entry.  We then modify
getdiskbyname(3) to look in /etc/defaults/disktab, and then in /etc/disktab,
overriding any duplicate entries it finds with the ones from /etc/disktab.

Then we can ship a crapload of useful disktab entries, and users can keep thier
own pared down list, without the need to merge entries in future upgrades.  If
someone wants getdiskbyname(3) to run faster, they simply rm the disktab file
from /etc/defaults.

Alternately, we could add some kind of ".include <path>" handling to the
disktab file, and implement the /etc/defaults/disktab as an include listed in
/etc/disktab.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/