Subject: Re: Detecting statvfs without autoconf
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Christoph Kaegi <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/09/2006 09:26:31
On 06.01-17:43, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> And this (all the possible combinations) is why relying on OS names and
> versions to detect specific features brings all kinds of problems when
> porting an application to a "new" platform (in this case, a new NetBSD
> version).
> You (the starter of this thread) should really consider using autoconf
> (or any other method, in case you hate autoconf) to automatically detect
> whether to use statfs or statvfs and how.  The following talk about this
> a bit more:

I don't hate autoconf. I just considered it too much overhead
for my small, private application.
Once (if ever) I publish it, I probably will have to use autoconf.

For the moment, it just has to work on our internal NetBSD and
Solaris Hosts (Linux also coming).

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Christoph Kaegi