Subject: Re: Duplicate documentation of MK* make options
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/22/2005 00:11:02
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 17:07:20 +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
> >An obvious example is NOxxx vars.  They were underdocumented in
> >bsd.README already, but at least they were underdocumented in the
> >right place.  NOxxx vars are intended for individual makefiles, e.g. a
> >program w/out a man page would set NOMAN to indicate that.
> >
> >"NOxxx" text cleary says "Not intended for users.", yet you have moved
> >that paragraph to mk.conf(5) - a manual page for *system wide* mk
> >configuration that *users* can do.
>
> So let's try to be constrictive about this one - as I already said, the
> situation about MK* is at least consistent now, have a look at the mess
> that was there before.

I beg to disagree.  bsd.README was at least close to complete.  You
have *artificially* yanked parts of it into an *unrelated* man page.
This shows that the change was not thought out.  Purely on that basis
I'd say that before any further change is done, we should revert to
what we had before.  Random changes do not help.

> If the description of the NO* variables is all that should be moved
> back to bsd.README, let me know.

USE_xxx are probably not meant for mk.conf.  I am honestly not sure.
And judging by your questions from just yesterday, you don't know
either - which probably tells that you are not qualified to make that
change without consulting Someone Who Knows (which is probably Luke).

Another example is BUILD that has been deleted from bsd.README.  It
absolutely does not belong to mk.conf.  BUILDID is also hardly a
system wide variable, it is intended to be supplied on a per-build
basis on the command line - yet you moved it into mk.conf man page.

All these examples reiterate the randomness of the change and calls
for it being reverted while the proper reorg is being thought out.

SY, Uwe
http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/          |       Ist zu Grunde gehen