Subject: using getopt_long (was Re: Bluetooth update)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/17/2005 22:36:28
On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 04:01:50PM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> Please do *not* use long options in new code for NetBSD.

	What's the reason for this?  I don't see anything mentioned about it
in the style guide.  Is your argument against it just "we haven't done it
so far", or is there some usability reason?

	IMO, long options can be a lot more understandable, especially when
you've got a program that has lots of options.  It can also be easier to
remember a long option when there are several similar short opions.

	For example, it seems I always end up looking at the man page to
remember which one of the 28 options to pkg_info gets me a list of dependent
packages.  I feel that long options such as "--requires" and "--required-by"
would stick in my mind better, but maybe I'm just getting old and slow. :)

eric