Subject: Re: ps with more POSIX/SUSv3 support
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/19/2005 14:52:32
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> > +               case 'A':
> > +                       /*
> > +                        * Exactly the same as `-ax'.   This has been
> > +                        * added for compatability with SUSv3, but for
> > +                        * now it will not be described in the man page.
>
> If an option is there, esp. if it is standard compliant, it should
> definitely be documented!
> I didn't know SUS describes ps... might be worthwhile to look into making
> our ps fully compliant.

The SUS version of ps has _many_ options that completely disagree with
option letters that we use now.  Years ago I had patches to our ps to
allow for the SysV style options (they should be on one of the lists
somewhere, probably from around 2000 or 2001 at a guess), but I think
trying to make our default ps SUSv3/SysV compliant is not going to be
possible.

One example is that -e is SUSv3 is the same as the proposed -A above,
but is used to show the environment in BSD ps.

Cheers,
Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/