Subject: Re: usermod, login class
To: Liam J. Foy <>
From: Alistair Crooks <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/22/2005 16:08:56
On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 03:50:56PM +0000, Liam J. Foy wrote:
> On 14:24, Sat 22 Oct 05, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 06:39:52PM +0200, rudolf wrote:
> > > [...] In the usermod
> > > soure file (/usr/src/usr.sbin/user/user.c) are pwp->pw_class
> > > manipulations inside "#ifdef EXTENSIONS". I don't know what EXTENSIONS
> > > means, should this work under generic build of 2.1_RC6 (amd64)?
> >
> > "EXTENSIONS" just denotes extra functionality over and above the
> > standard Solaris 2.6 functionality (the utility was coded up after
> > reading Solaris 2.6 manual pages).
> Just as a side note, we build with EXTENSIONS by default rudolf.
> Without EXTENSIONS we lose some options.
> Which also reminds me Alistair, shouldn't we mention in the man page
> which options are dropped if someone decides not to build with

Up until now, I'd not considered that, since we always build
with EXTENSIONS defined. Yes, manual page clarifications would
be good - was that a volunteer I heard? :-)

> Also to that point, is there a huge reason why we MUST

If you're talking about keeping the definition itself, rather than the
code that's compiled when EXTENSIONS is defined, I don't see any
compelling reason to get rid of it, or any gain to be had. I could
also see some drawbacks.