Subject: Re: Is rtsold started too late?
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/13/2005 12:33:35
--dfmC41YZQlborXoK

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 08:55:52AM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
>=20
> On Sep 10, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
>=20
> >Hmm good point.  It's not; it's part of mountcritremote by default.
> >So... maybe we will need to move rtsold to /sbin?  Otherwise, one
> >cannot mount /usr remotely using IPV6... isn't it?
>=20
> Honestly, I think it's high time that "/usr is on a remote file =20
> system" ceases being an officially supported configuration.

Even inserting the implied "root is local, " before that, I still
strongly disagree.  It's not uncommon (at least for me) to netboot a
kernel with mdsetimage'd-root (which is local, in this context), and
mount /usr from the boot server.  The same kernel works well from a
flash widget, which is why I do it that way.

The init.chroot changes offer new and interesting possibilities for
handling some of these scenarios, but all the things you might want in
your pre-chroot environment are close enough to the same things as you
want pre-/usr.

However, it seems all this has been thought of before. On my -current
laptop:

27 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  26947 Sep  5 12:57 /sbin/rtsol
28 -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  27421 Sep  5 13:39 /usr/sbin/rtsold

--
Dan.

--dfmC41YZQlborXoK

--dfmC41YZQlborXoK--