Subject: Re: PATCH: init(8) - multiuser under chroot
To: Jachym Holecek <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/31/2005 19:26:57

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 12:14:54AM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:

> > Can run multiuser stuff in chroot:                    - B C D
> > Can get back to single user mode in the "real" root:  A B - -
> > Can boot with small init, but run full-featured init: - - - D
> This sounds reasonable. And we can only provide A in the SMALL
> case, to make sure install media don't get upset.=20

The funny thing is that I see this mechanism being especially useful
for installs. Put another way, having this in init might be a good way
to facilitate removing a lot of the *other* stuff that's presently
crunch'd into the install md-root.  Instead, this would be loaded from
somewhere else convenient, chroot'd to, and the install could proceed
from there.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)