Subject: Re: PATCH: init(8) - multiuser under chroot
To: Jachym Holecek <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/22/2005 10:33:20

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 03:56:03PM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> The patch below implements this by having init(8) create and watch the
> "init.root" sysctl node (more details follow in the init.8 part of diff):

What's the status of this work?  I'd like to see it go into the tree
and be used.

IIRC, it was hung up on the question of /etc/ttys and some discussion
or disagreement on the best way to have that be (re-)read from within
the chroot.  There was also at least one preference expressed for
making the chroot one-way, exec'ing the new init found inside the
chroot, if possible, rather than something that would be exited on
return to single-user.

If differences remain on these points, I'd like to provoke progress
towards a decision and result, please.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)