Subject: Re: ifconfig -h patch
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 08/10/2005 16:21:24
On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 03:00:03PM +0100, Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 2005.08.10 15:21:31 +0000, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> | > |

> | > The other BSDs don't have this kind of functionality; Linux prints the
> | > values in human form by default; I dunno about Solaris, AIX, IRIX, etc.
> |
> | On DragonFly and I guess FreeBSD too, you normally get this information
> | via netstat -I $nic -b.
>
> I think you are missing the point.

My point is simply that the information is already available, that's why
it is not necessarily a good idea to duplicate it in ifconfig. -v is
NetBSD specific too, so it might not matter.

IMO this doesn't belong into ifconfig, because it is not relevant for
the configuration of an interface and even more importantly, because it
can't be modified. That's what contrasts it from most other information
ifconfig prints.

Joerg