Subject: Re: Fixing GDB
To: Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/25/2005 17:51:07
Rui Paulo <rpaulo@NetBSD.org> writes:

> Hmm, so debugging a statically linked process works or not ?

To be honest, I have not tried the matrix of possibilites lately. I'm
just pointing out that there are a lot of them.

> Also, attaching to an already running process seems to work.

Yeah, I think that this was the focus of rev 1.15 of nbsd-thread.c,
which introduced some of the problems with starting inferior
processes.

> | (Also, it would be nice to use a more modern version of GDB. Versions
> | after 6.1 require some restructuring of the thread code to adapt to
> | major changes in the register-fetching interface, which I'm working on
> | in my Copious Free Time).
>
> By importing gdb 6.x, can we make it easier to fix this problem?

It wouldn't really help this problem - though some of the thread code
can be simplified - but it would still be good.

        - Nathan