Subject: Re: bin/30539 (was Re: wtf is perl)
To: None <>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/2005 14:18:40
On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 13:39 +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 03:58:25PM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> > It makes wtf(6) also check the PKG_DBDIR, a.k.a. /var/db/pkg.  Useful if
> > you're wondering what that "libfoo" package is... :-)
> >
> > % wtf is libgsf
> > libgsf: GNOME2 structured file library
> Could anyone look into my patch (PR #30539) or even commit it?  Thanks.

I personally don't like how this works.  If we add this feature, I would
like it to only happen when explicitly told to wtf(6).  For example:

	wtf -t pkg perl

and treating 'pkg' as a special type (instead of looking for an
acronyms.pkg file).

But even if doing this... wtf is meant to translate *acronyms*, while
most package names are not.  Therefore, this functionality doesn't
belong here.

If this change was motivated by your original 'wtf is perl' attempt,
just try 'wtf -t comp perl' and you'll get what you were looking for ;)

Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
The NetBSD Project -