Subject: Re: port-xen/29887: sysctl kern.consdev coredumps
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/22/2005 12:38:58
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Alan Barrett wrote:
> It sounds as though gcc should grow some options to
> allow it to differentiate between <standard> and
> <standard>-as-extended-by-<organisation>-<version>.  Until that
> happens, if you use "gcc -std=C99" to tell the compiler that your code
> was written in C99, you should not be surprised that the compiler
> believed you, and that you do not get the C99-as-extended-by-NetBSD-2.0
> semantics.

Since I wrote that I have read some of the gcc sources [particularly
the c_expand_builtin_printf() function in gcc/c-common.c], and I
now see that gcc's behaviour of rewriting printf("%s",string) to
fputs(string,stdout) is *not* conditional on any "-std=foo" options.
So, all my arguments about "don't say -std=c99 if you don't really mean
it" are moot given that people weren't saying "-std=c99".

--apb (Alan Barrett)