Subject: Re: port-xen/29887: sysctl kern.consdev coredumps
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2005 15:26:53
On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:38 AM, der Mouse wrote:

>> Being different is not fine if it changes gcc behavior.  We don't
>> provide netbsd-cc on boxes.  We provide something claiming to be
>> "gcc".
>>

> But hasn't it been hacked on in NetBSD-specific ways already?  That
> is,
> don't we already apply NetBSD-specific patches to it when rolling in a
> new gcc?

We have been trying, for a long time, to get to "stock GCC in
NetBSD".  I believe that all of the NetBSD extensions are now in
mainline GCC (I did a lot of this work a few years ago).

> If fixing this bug would be seen as unwarranted modification of the
> compiler, then the only choice I see is to back off to an earlier
> compiler, before the bug went in.

IT IS NOT A BUG.  GCC is perfectly within its rights to do what it is
doing.  Maybe people should stop passing NULL pointers to printf() in
the first place?

-- thorpej