Subject: Re: port-xen/29887: sysctl kern.consdev coredumps
To: YAMAMOTO Takashi <yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/17/2005 09:25:56
On Jun 17,  9:11pm, yamt@mwd.biglobe.ne.jp (YAMAMOTO Takashi) wrote:

| adding a hack to libc for the broken compiler is saner?
| i don't think so.

I don't think so either, but when you ask the compiler to call printf(),
and it calls puts() because it `knows' it is better, what else are you
left with?

| the fundamental problem is that gcc ignores the well-known but non-standard
| behaviour of printf.  fixing gcc is the right fix.
|
| IMO, changing puts is the worst choice because it introduces
| another non-standard extension.
| no surprise if a future version of gcc break it. :-)

I am fine with disabling the optimization, but as I said, it will make
our compiler different. I would rather convince the gcc team to consider
turning the bogus behavior off permanently.

christos