Subject: Re: ingres and atomicity
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/14/2005 14:17:16
James K. Lowden said:

>I'd like to understand those issues better, for my own edification.  The
>docs say they demand 3.3.2; they don't say what the trouble with 3.3.3 is.

The original source that I downloaded was documented to require 3.3.3 or
3.3.2. This may have changed. I tried to build on Slackware 10, which comes
with 3.3.4, and got what seemed to be compiler errors that caused the build
to fail. Building also requires a special version of pax, that can only be
downloaded from CA as a linux binary.

CA has a history of acquiring software and then ruining it.

>Well.  In 1985 Ingres had features not yet in Postgres, including for
>example clustered servers.  From what I know/remember of the feature sets,
>there's really no comparison.

I last used Ingres in 1995-96. It seemed to be basically a lightweight,
commercial database that was not up to the level of informix, sybase, or
oracle.

It looks like CA doesn't sell Ingres, but does have it for various
platforms. The source that I downloaded had all the info stripped out
except for Linux. This may have changed since last year when I tried
to build it. I downloaded the source last September and again in
October. I suspect it has changed since then.
--
Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.com
		<http://www.rmkhome.com/>