Subject: Re: scan_ffs from OpenBSD ported and improved.
To: Hisashi T Fujinaka <htodd@twofifty.com>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@mibh.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/11/2005 00:28:21
Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

> >> Should "-h" be removed then?
> >
> > When you need help, man(1) is your friend. :-)
> >
> > I vote for removing '-h'.
>
> I'm piping in without reading the sources, but sometimes a quick -h is
> more informative than a confusing man page. Sometimes I just need a
> reminder as to which flags to use (lsof and tcpdump come to mind). OK,
> so those aren't NetBSD utilities, but you get the idea.
>
> I think newfs and disklabel or something were that way, too. I used the
> -h a lot this past week.

For neither utility -h is a "help" option; it's an unknown option to
disklabel, and a known one to newfs but requiring an argument.  In
addition, there are several base utilities where -h traditionally has
a meaning unlike "help".

That said, it doesn't even make sense to have a 'h' case here
(scanffs.c) from the getopt(3) perspective.

- Klaus