Subject: [Summer of Code proposal] BSD-licensed spell(1)
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/06/2005 10:42:53
Hello again!

Jan Schaumann has suggested asking on the mailing lists for feedback
to improve my proposal about creating a BSD-licensed spell(1).  As
outlined in previous posts to the NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion
list (http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2005/05/16/0000.html)
the goal of this proposal is working on a BSD-licensed spell(1)
command based on ternary search trees.  We currently have permission
from Jon Bentley and Bob Sedgewick to use their implementation of
ternary search trees:

  Bentley, J. L. and Sedgewick, R.  Fast Algorithms for Sorting and
  Searching Strings.  Proceedings of the eighth annual ACM-SIAM symposium
  on Discrete Algorithms, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
  (January 1997), 360-369.

The main goal is developing a spell(1) command that has all the features
available in other spellers.  If possible, I prefer not writing
additional code (e.g., options to automatically call filters) as we
cannot assure these filters are in the base system.  On the other hand,
I heartly believe that filters should be used through pipes.  But I am
open to any suggestion that can improve this tool (perhaps I am wrong
about not implementing these options).

Perhaps someone is willing to review my proposal either in public or
private email.

BTW, I will probably need some help to fill my draft before submitting
it to Google[*].  Feedback will be really appreciated.

[*] As I am a PhD student yet (I will finish my doctoral work soon) I really
    want to participate on Google's Summer of Code program.

Best wishes,

Igor.