Subject: Re: PATCH: init(8) - multiuser under chroot
To: Jachym Holecek <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/31/2005 19:25:10

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 11:05:52AM +0200, Jachym Holecek wrote:
> That's an obvious and failsafe approach. The invariant of "single user
> always on real root" prove _very_ useful while testing at the least
> though.

Sure, and if you boot -s, that's where you end up.  Personally, I so
rarely shut *back* down to single user without rebooting that I tend
to even forget it can be done.

Clearly, though, winding somewhere else when you do migh be just as
confusing on the other side.

> > Yeah, it's not like any changes you make at single-user in the md root
> > are going to be permanent.
> Note that the scheme isn't md-specfic in any way -- you can boot off an
> USB flash disk and migrate to a cgd@wd0 multi-user (ch)root.

That example illustrates exactly where the chroot trick, nice though
it is, falls down: what happens when the flash widget is removed and
real-/ has to detach?  For that reason, you'd use the md.

Point taken, all the same.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)