Subject: Re: PATCH: init(8) - multiuser under chroot
To: Simon J. Gerraty <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/31/2005 08:20:32

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 12:28:38PM -0700, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
> Not sure I like this bit though.  Once etc/rc finishes successfully,
> I make init chroot itself, keeps things nice and simple. =20

Init chroot's itself before starting the 'real' rc, opening tty's,
etc? I think I prefer this simplicity, too.

It's a pity that there's no way to unmount the real root md, but
there's not really much point unless/until we could recover the memory
used once it was unmounted.  If that ever becomes possible, we can
revisit this aspect then.

> As you found, going back and forth b/w single/multi-user doesn't work well
> so I don't even pretend that it will work.  Boot single user or multi-user
> end of story.

Yeah, it's not like any changes you make at single-user in the md root
are going to be permanent.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)