Subject: Re: patching a large number of files
To: Igor Sobrado <>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/16/2005 05:28:09
On Mon, 16 May 2005 11:13:53 +0200
Igor Sobrado <> wrote:
> I am currently working on a *big* patch for some userland commands.
> This patch will update a lot of files (about twenty of them) in the
> source code tree.
> How should I submit these patches to simplify applying the changes?

Without knowing all the details of what you are doing, here is how I
would probably do this:

- Start out with a clean, up to date CVS tree.
- Modify the files you are working on.
- Build your new application or applications.
- Test your application.
- Have your friends test the application.
- Go to the top level of the CVS tree and run "cvs -q diff -u"
- Send the output of that command to the appropriate mailing list for
- Make sure that you explain what the patches are intended to

D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>