Subject: Re: is vi(1)'s autoindent the right default behaviour?
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Igor Sobrado <igor@string1.ciencias.uniovi.es>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/09/2005 15:32:48
> You are right. I even noticed this before, but didn't find it annoying
> enough to care. I don't think that this is an X server problem. Xfree86 is
> a complete X Window System, not only the server. So the client or the
> Athena library got broken IMHO.

Hi Pavel.

Indeed, the problem probably resides in the Athena library or the clients
themselves.  But there are other applications running Athena widgets that
seem working fine (e.g., xterm(1)).  On the other hand, why at least two
clients fail in XF4?  Don't know!

I used the term "XFree86" to refer not only to the X11 Window System
server but the entire distribution.  Something is broken in XF4 -as you
say, in either the Athena library or some clients- and I really hope
that, at least, X.Org will fix it in the future.  Providing man pages
in mdoc would be great too... :-)

IMHO, XFree86 is not a X11 Window System now but a framework to support
new graphic chipsets.  I hope that they will not drop the nice clients
that are provided with the X server.  Some of us are using these nice
and stable clients yet.

Best wishes,

Igor.